Thursday, November 11, 2010

IBM RAD/RSA 7 installation on Ubuntu 10.04 Linux

IBM Rational Application Developer 7 or Rational Software Architect 7.0 installation on Linux can be annoying at times. Here are the steps I followed to get this working and this time around it felt quite simple.
1. IBM Installation Manager 1.4.1: It will be best to get the latest version of the installation manager, so download and install it first. Choose the agent.installer.linux.gtk.x86_1.4.1.
2. Download and install the libstdc++5 lib from Debian site. I had saved libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_amd64.deb locally and used this one. I am not sure but it seems I needed the 64 bit version.
3. Replace the default shell sh from dash to bash; as described here. The command to use is 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash' and select 'no'.
This did it for me!

Update Jun 23, 12: I am now running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit version, trying to install the 1.5.2 version of the IM. However, I kept on getting this bash error - bash ./install: No such file or directory
The issue was not having 32bit lib files described here. So install 32 bit library files using
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

It all works now!

Disclaimer: Again this is the assimilation of all the wisdom that is available over the net, with some of own tweaks

No comments: