Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CPU Coolers and Thermal paste

When I first built my PC back in Dec 2009, the i7 920 CPU temp were 36/52 F running @ 2.67Ghz stock, and I was patting myself on the back for choosing a superb cooler. Then last week I thought since the system is running so well, for more than a year now, I needed to try something new.

I tried over clocking it and was successfully able to over clock it to 3.8 Ghz with temps like 55/75 F. Not too shabby on a air cooler! But I never really needed to over clock. Windows 7 Performance index crawled up by .2 from 7.4 to 7.6 out of 7.8; and yes I know I could have used some proper tool like 3D Mark scores, but never mind.

After returning to stock speeds, I realized that the temp was not 36/52 F, as I had or in that ball park, but now it was 42/65 F. I was not too pleased and I wanted to have the idle temps below 40F.

For almost a week, I have been taking off and re-mouting my Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler on my i7 920 CPU. I tried various combinations and techniques of changing the thermal paste and the amount and yet nothing gave in. I cleaned the surfaces with Artic remover and cleaner and used the noctua thermal compound and also bought the artic silver 5. Finally I settled with the artic silver 5 since the noctua compound seemed to have dried out. I used a credit card and a few drops to apply all over the surfaces and just enough to have a thin coat.

I have tried at least 10 iterations to get the CPU temperatures down and finally decided that I don't care anymore. I have concluded that, after a few years the CPU temps will never return to the youthful age again :(

Apparently, I am not the only one facing this problem of how much is too much, when it comes to thermal paste.
http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/21/apple_macbook_pro_2011_freezes/

No comments: